Six lessons that will help you on the journey towards a different kind of business leadership
Most SME leaders have built their business on ‘passion’ and specific skills, but to break through the glass ceiling of growth they need to focus on a different kind of leadership, but the big question is ‘how do you remove that dependency on YOU and build a team to deliver the long term rewards?’
- To get out of the selling, you’re probably going to have to do more in the short term
Unfortunately, businesses struggle to grow because they can’t afford to put the right people in – this lesson is very much about getting over that affordability hump.
- You have to get a process – the art of ‘bottling’ your sales method
You probably have your own way of selling, but the trick is to create a methodology that can be effectively transferred to other people with selling responsibility in your business.
- Making sure you have all the tools necessary to manage the sales process is critical
As with any profession you can’t perform without the right tools. When building a sales process, the right tools for each stage are essential for progressing smoothly to a sale.
- You have to find the right people – don’t hire a copy of yourself
The last thing you want to do is hire someone who is ‘just like you’ – fundamentally, you need a better sales person with a track record who will concentrate entirely on business development.
- To sell consistently, you need to embed rhythm and rigour
Often the most difficult thing for businesses to get right, rhythm and rigour, little and often are the absolute fundamentals of sales success – this focus and discipline is what will really make the difference.
- Once success happens, be ready for the next steps
Once you’ve got your sales engine working right, you will undoubtedly be faced with a range of new operational and management challenges that require new leadership and systems to really take you to the next level.